Why Do You Love to Paint?

 

 Welcome to the Port Perry Artists Blog!

      My name is Lauren and I am a member of the Port Perry Artists Association. Along with my fellow members, we love to paint! It's a part of who we are and what we do. It's not just about putting an image on canvas. I believe that art is a reflection of the beauty we see all around us. We all happen to see it in different ways. That's what makes art just as unique as the person. We are all different and that's what makes life beautiful.

    I posed a question to the group. It's a simple enough question to ask. Like typical artists, we tend to go deeper...

  Why do you love to paint?

  I know my fellow group members share my love of art. I'd like to share their experience. It may just encourage you to pick up a brush too! 

H.S.
"I have been creative as long as I can remember.  I started out very young with coloring books and crayons and on to drawing and cutting out paper dresses for the paper doll books my mother bought me.

In school art was my passion and I was lucky enough to be mentored by great art teachers.  Although not able to further my art education formally, I never passed up a chance to take classes and workshops throughout my life. That's now coming up to 80 years.

 I am always happiest with a paintbrush in my hand and can't help looking at everything around me as composition for a painting, especially our fantastic landscape here in Canada."

J.C
"It started back in the East Coast as a social gathering in a small community. From that I started to like the expressive creativity. Prince Edward Island has so many subject variations such as red soil with the green fields, blue ocean with white or red beaches and harbors with boats. Where ever you look, there was a subject for painting.

    I started classes with other local artists and fell in love with painting. Now 15 years later, I don't know what I would without painting. Painting takes me to A different state of mind. I totally forget what is going on around me. I would not say it is relaxing, many times it is frustrating. When it works out, the feeling is very satisfying ."

D.T.

"Painting is my therapy, I am happy, calm and stress free when creating in my studio.  I have learned a lot about myself while drawing/painting and never run out of inspiration."


L.R.
In my early twenties I picked up a brush and laid paint on canvas. From that moment on I knew this was for me. It was a busy life at that time and the couple hours away from the chaos allowed a disconnect, a meditation if you will. 
Now in my retirement years I still feel that way. Every day I treat myself to a couple hours to lay down paint. Sometimes my brush surprises me. It exhilarating! Other times it's frustrating and that is when I’ll drop it and come back to that same canvas a few days later for a fresh look. 

It’s a happy day when a piece is finished to my satisfaction and I can proudly sign my name. I sign with my first name only as I wish for a personal connect between the viewer and my art."


A.P.


"I love to paint! I am a water colorist and had enjoyed it in my teen years along with pen and ink. So I took both mediums up about 8 years ago prior to retiring and find it therapeutic, challenging and there is always someth
ing new to learn! I also find it relaxing and “my happy place “. In fact I’d feel empty without it now!! The added bonus of the Port Perry Artists, its people and venues... is also wonderful."

L.W.
    I picked up the paintbrush after fifteen years of not doing anything. I took a walk and when I got home, I had the urge to paint The Northern Lights. I've always dreamed of going there. I figure this would be the closest I could get at the moment. Honestly, painting has helped me through a very tough time in my life. A series of negative things happened over the course of six months and I was having a hard time. Painting is my escape. It calms me. It refocuses my mind and helps me to concentrate in the moment. It taps in to that creative part of me that for so long laid dormant.


        Painting goes beyond color and shape. As you can see, it truly feeds our soul and allows us to escape the world for a while. We are invested in creating our own unique picture. That's the benefit of picking up a paint brush, anyone can do it! As you can see it starts with a spark of inspiration and carries us away. We hope that you find a spark and create something all your own!

Happy Painting!
Lauren