Artists of the Autumn Show: Deborah Bateman

 

"The attached piece is titled “The Summer House”  36 by 36 and is very typical of my work.  I love old houses, if they could just tell their stories.  Quirky rooflines, overgrown and faded paint."

https://www.dbatemanoilpaintings.ca


How long have you been involved with the PPAA? 

2 years


When did you first fall in love with art?   

As a young teenager I used to copy the drawings in the ads at the back of the newspaper (now I am dating myself!).  I always wanted art supplies and sketch books for Christmas and moved into oil painting in my 20s.  Life and career took precedence so at times, I laid my brushes down for years but it was always “there”.  Would pick up the brushes and paint furiously for a few years and lay them down again until I moved closer to retirement and could focus on this passion for color that just had to get out onto a canvas.  When I retired, I had the time to take classes, seminars, pursue art festivals and club memberships and here I am!


What is your background in art? (Formally trained or self taught)

Not formally trained as in degrees. I am mostly self taught but have had great mentors and instructors that I followed in day or weekend classes and workshops – eg., Mary Lampman, Poul Thrane and Lucy Manley.


What courses would you recommend any aspiring artist take? (Perhaps describe a course you’ve taken that has helped to sharpen your skills)

Don’t be afraid of oils – they are vibrant and forgiving.  Try painting with a palette knife, with brushes, with your fingers.  Buy really good equipment – brushes, canvases, paints.  Take a beginner course with novice painters so that you will not be overwhelmed or left behind by faster, more experienced painters  which can be discouraging and intimidating.     Move up a level in classes every year because first and foremost, you will learn one thing, if only one, that you can apply to your work that makes it uniquely yours.  Challenge yourself.  Work with different artists to broaden your horizons and you will find your niche and your style.  The most inspirational artist that I worked with in early years “made” me go outside and paint.  Be in the moment.  If you can do that, you can anything.


How would you describe your artistic style and who influences you the most?

I am a whimsical colourist, semi-impressionistic.  I love bright, pure colours, applied with thick paint.  My work looks way better from across the room.  I am not detail oriented, I strive for the emotional impact of light and dark, colour and vibrancy.  I would say the Group of Seven is my ideal and my current mentor, Lucy Manley, is the ultimate landscape artist that suits my style.

 

What medium do you prefer to use and why?

Oils!!!  They are malleable and have texture and vibrancy. They are forgiving as well.  If you have a challenging spot in your work, you have options with oils. My advice is to rub it off right away, or let it dry and paint over it as many times as you like. They mix into the most interesting and lovely colours on your palette sheet or right there “in living colour” on your canvas.  They are energetic and they make my work exciting and create many happy accidents on a canvas that sometimes can never be replicated.

 

What can we look forward to seeing from you in the Fall Art Show?

I have had a great season through Covid! I suspect because folks could not travel they were willing to spend the money on home improvements including purchasing original art so in fact, my inventory is getting lower.  However, I will show some larger pieces from all the seasons, perhaps a colorful farm scene or two, rural and urban landscapes.  Some smaller pieces to go along with the larger ones

 Come and see Deborah's Work at the upcoming Autumn Show!