Artists of the Autumn Show: Janice Addison



"This is a painting that I have been wanting to paint for a long time, but I found the background to be a bit distracting. I decided to attempt it after I saw a photo by a fellow artist in this year’s Victoria County Studio Tour brochure. I liked the dark, misty background in the late day of her photo, as opposed to the early morning mist in mine. I decided that if I could create that effect with watercolour, for my background horizon, then I would complete the rest of the painting. It is titled “Out of Adversity”


How long have you been involved with the PPAA?

 I have been involved with the PPAA for 21 years. I joined the group in 2000 at the first art show of the original 4 artists. 


When did you first fall in love with art? 

As a child, I was always drawing or crafting or sewing with my mom. Both of my parents were artistic and always encouraged my efforts. 


What is your background in art? (Formally trained or self-taught) 

 There were no art classes taught at my high school until I was in my senior year. That year I sat in on as many of the Grade 9 art classes as my spares would allow. Keen to go to Ontario College of Art (now OCAD), I applied and was accepted on raw talent alone. My limited experience and lack of art history knowledge meant that I would have a huge learning curve in college. I knew this would put me at a great disadvantage, so second thoughts and doubts kept me from following through with my plan. I chose a different but fulfilling, career path. I continued to satiate my artistic desires in my spare time. I attended week-end workshops with prominent artists of the day.


What courses would you recommend any aspiring artist take? (Perhaps describe a course you’ve taken that has helped to sharpen your skills) 

I would recommend that aspiring artists take classes from artists whose work they admire. Perhaps with a style that is one that they wish to pursue and emulate. No matter which instructor they choose, they will always come away with some new tidbit that will improve their skills. A course in determining values and shapes in one’s compositions would be extremely helpful too


How would you describe your artistic style and who influences you the most? 

 My style is generally representational but I appreciate all styles from realism to abstraction. I incorporate them in my work from time to time. I strive to be painterly and impressionistic. Edwin Matthews, former owner and resident artist of Gallery on the Lake in Buckhorn, first inspired me to pursue the watercolour medium. He was an excellent watercolour artist and teacher and I loved his style. My various art groups also offered classes that I attended with professional artists from Ontario and across Canada and the U.S. This included Gordon MacKenzie, Brian Atyeo, Margaret Roseman, Sterling Edwards, Anne Abgott, Jack Reid and a wealth of others. Each bringing wonderful experiences to my table!


What medium do you prefer to use and why? 

Watercolour is the medium for which I am most known. I began painting with watercolour first and have become more adept and less intimidated by it’s sometimes unpredictable nature. I love the fluidity and both the softness and the strength of colour that you can achieve with watercolour. However, I am enjoying the versatility and forgiveness of the acrylic medium right now. 


What can we look forward to seeing from you in the Fall Art Show? 

In the fall show you can expect to see a mixture of both watercolour and acrylic paintings, both framed and unframed. These paintings are mostly landscapes but you will find florals, architecture and people scenes. Some small still life paintings will provide the surprise. 

I have no personal website or Facebook page at the moment, but you can see some of my paintings on the Fenelon Station Gallery, Victoria County Studio Tour and Port Perry Artists’ Association sites.

What advice would you offer to a beginner just starting out? 

Use the best materials you can afford. You’ll have a better chance of achieving your best watercolour results and won’t have a new learning curve when you upgrade to better quality paints and paper. 


See Janice and other talented artists of the Port Perry Artists Association in our upcoming Autumn Show