Artists of the Spring Show June 2022: Carolyn Stephenson


Carolyn Stephenson

1. What have you been working on over the pandemic?

Inspiration was very hard to come by in the early part of the pandemic but eventually I started back working with my Alcohol Inks.  I signed up for a few online courses, both for Alcohol ink and Watercolor.

2. Have you been experimenting with any new techniques or styles? 

Over the past few years my main medium has been the inks but they have a very strong odor and can be very toxic. One should only work with them for short periods of time.  As  water colour had been my only type of art for about 7 years, I decided to take a break and get back into it.  

Incorporating granulation medium and acrylic inks to water color was my new adventure and I was quite happy with some of the results.

3.  Have you been drawn to any particular subject matter or themes over the pandemic?

Basically, my favourite subject matter would be landscapes with atmospheric skies and they would be done in the alcohol inks.   With water color, I love doing winter scenes and flowers. Trees are another favorite in any medium

4.  I often find colours inspire me, is there any particular color you’ve been drawn to lately?

What attracted me to the Alcohol Inks was the beautiful, vibrant colors . It is fascinating to see them blend in together when you add the alcohol.  There is one of the black inks that when the alcohol is added so many other colors appear. Pinks, blues, purples, taupe. Another favorite is a metallic brass that just adds that little bit of interest

5. Have you been working with small or large canvases?

As I work mainly on synthetic papers for the inks, namely Yupo and Nara paper, most of my art is smaller.  However, I have branched out recently and  done some that are a bit bigger.  The biggest issue that I deal with is the fact that all my paintings need framing  which is very costly.

       See Carolyn and other amazing artist at the upcoming Spring Show 

June 11th & 12th at Scout Hall in Port Perry.




 

 .