Artists of the Autumn Show: Lynne Rempel

 

 “Early Morning Light”.  Oil on gallery stretched canvas 30x40”

How long have you been involved with the PPAA? 

4years

 

 

When did you first fall in love with art? 

 

Looking back I think I was always drawn to art and as a child my Mother and I had fun with paint-by-numbers. M true love of painting began in my early twenties when I picked up a brush and freely laid paint on canvas. From that moment on I knew this was for me. It was a busy life at that time and the couple hours away from the chaos allowed a disconnect, a meditation if you will. Now in my retirement years I still feel that way.

 

 

What is your background in art? (Formally trained or self taught) 

 

Many years ago I attended the Winnipeg Symposium of Art where I studied composition and the basics of oil painting. Since that time, I attended workshops and classes here and there. I would consider myself mainly self-taught. Life got in the way with working and children but my brushes were always there and I would sporadically pick them up. Now in my retirement years I have more time to devote myself to the craft.

 

 

What courses would you recommend any aspiring artist take? 

 

I would advise any aspiring artist to take a basic course beginning with a medium that doesn’t seem too daunting. I'd then encourage them to experiment with different mediums and choose one. Paint, paint, paint until a level of comfort is reached. 

Study the great masters. One teacher who painted in the style of the old masters was Joyce Anderson and I gleaned a lot of basic painting techniques from her teachings.

 

 

How would you describe your artistic style and who influences you the most? 

Even after so many years my style is still developing!  I began as a realist and now I push myself towards Impressionism. 

I like to study the Impressionists …my favourites being Cezanne, Monet, Manet. I enjoy their fluid brushstrokes and the vibrancy of their colours. It looks easy but isn’t!

 

 

What medium do you prefer to use and why?

 

 I settled on oils as I love the blending qualities they allow and the buttery richness they impart.

 

 

What can we look forward to seeing from you in the Fall Art Show?

 

I produced a lot of paintings during Covid and I intend to show some Muskoka landscapes along with a few still lifes. 

 

 

What advice would you offer to a beginner just starting out? 

 

 Paint as often and as much as you can. Take some formal classes and learn the basics. 

Join an Art Club. Artists are there to encourage and help one another…you’ll have a lot of fun!


See Lynne and other artist at the upcoming Autumn Show November 13th and 14th.